Electricity. Creativity. Innovation. The same words synonymous with the famous Thomas Edison of Menlo Park are equally valid when describing one of the most compelling thought leaders and voices in motivational business speakers today: Jonathan Edison. Armed with vision, a mission to inspire and a powerful story, Jonathan has already taught more than 500,000 people the life-changing principles of how to Make Your Own Magic.
Growing up in an environment that was a prescription for failure, young John John-his grandmother's affectionate nickname for him-faced many hardships. Although love generously bestowed by his parents and grandmother was a constant factor in his early years, Jonathan's childhood was extremely difficult. After exposing him to drugs and violence, his mother was removed from the household by the Department of Social Services when he was seven years old. Two years later Jonathan's father left to start a new family on another side of town. The grandmother that took over his upbringing died suddenly when he was 14.
Now homeless, Jonathan was forced to take up residence in his aunt's basement. To afford the $50.00 a month in rent and his portion of the electric bill, he worked a full-time job as a dishwasher/bus boy at Chili's Grill and Bar in the evenings and on weekends. He became a father at 15, graduated from high school with a 1.63 grade point average and completed his first year of college with a 0.62 GPA before dropping out completely.
He made his own magic.
Instead of becoming another statistic, Jonathan found the magic he needed within himself to rise above adversity. He enrolled in remedial classes at Wayne County Community College. In 1993, Jonathan graduated with an associate's degree as a part of the Urban Teacher Program. In 1995 Jonathan continued his education at Wayne State University, earning a bachelor's and a master's degree in only. During college, Jonathan worked as a bus attendant, waiter, gas station attendant and often slept in his car so that he could hold down his jobs and attend classes.
After teaching for four years, at age 27 Jonathan became the youngest assistant principal in the history of Detroit Public Schools. In 2002, he was named Wayne County Spokesman for Success. Then, along with hundreds of other dedicated educators, Jonathan was fired. Once again, he made his own magic. With no savings, clients or plan, in 2004 he launched Edison Speaks International, a motivational and training development company. Since then Jonathan has authored four books, spoken in 40 states and has inspired and motivated more than 500,000 people to make their own magic in life. Jonathan's Fortune 500 clients include: CVS Pharmacy, Daimler Chrysler, FBI, Folgers Coffee, General Motors, Hewlett Packard, McDonald's and State Farm Insurance.
- Make Your Own Magic Designed to motivate individuals, employees, leaders and managers. - Who wouldn't like more magic in their life? But magicians don't sit around waiting for it to happen. They make their own magic, and you can too. In his new book, upcoming PBS special and trademark keynote, Jonathan Edison shows how to make your own magic using tricks you already have up your sleeve: the power of your thoughts and the seven elements of internal energy-Belief, Imagination, Enthusiasm, Passion, Resourcefulness, Intuition and Service. The results-improved achievement and performance throughout your company or organization-will be magical and measurable
- Make Your Own Sales Magic Designed to take your salespeople from marginal to magical. - If only achieving your sales goals was as easy as pulling a rabbit out of a hat. In this presentation, Jonathan will demonstrate how to make your own sales magic by using the same methods applied by successful magicians: skill, practice and focus. Magic makes what appears impossible a reality. This session will inspire attendees to reach sales targets they never thought possible, making improved profits for your company a reality.
- It Takes Teamwork to Make the Dreamwork Designed to reinforce and enhance the power of teamwork. - A lone magician can be very entertaining. Introduce an assistant and what happens? The magician can perform more efficiently, the illusions can be more complex and dazzling, and together, the team can deliver a richer and more fulfilling experience to the audience. In this interactive presentation, Jonathan will demonstrate that the benefits of teamwork are no illusion in the workplace. Using his tips and strategies, together everyone achieves magic: the productivity ratio of multiple people working on the same task, is always greater than one person and the ROI is always higher.
- How To Stay Motivated in Challenging Times Designed to help individuals, businesses and organizations cope with and conquer change and challenge. - If you feel like you've run out of ways to stay positive in these tough economic times, this presentation is for you. Jonathan will inspire you to make your own motivational magic and reinvent yourself to overcome any challenge. On a personal level, Jonathan will demonstrate how to leverage your personal strengths, creativity and resilience to successfully cope with change. On a professional level, he will show how techniques used in the workplace to manage the consequences of organizational decisions can be improved to help individuals remain motivated and connected.
- 360 Degree Magical Leadership Designed for those who want to lead the way to success. - When you're in a race, winners know that it's just as important to focus what's behind, around and within them as on the road ahead. The same is true when it comes to leadership within a business or organization: you need 360 degree vision to be successful. In this amazing presentation, Jonathan will empower individuals and organizations to increase their performance as leaders by aligning personal identity, beliefs and mindset with the goals and mission of the organization from every angle.
- Speaking Savvy Perfect for a breakout session. - Almost everyone has to speak to an audience at some point in their life or career. Over the past 10 years, award-winning speaker and author Jonathan Edison has spoken live to more than 500,000 people all around the world. In this presentation, Jonathan will share his expertise in communication and coach you in the secrets of speaking with power, passion, purpose.