Dr. Pagana has been a leader in healthcare for more than 40 years, with experiences including
college teaching, administration, clinical practice, business management, consulting, writing, and
professional speaking. She is a Certified Speaking Professional (CSP).
Among the 29 books she has written, she has co-authored the number one best-selling book on
healthcare diagnostic and laboratory testing. This book (Mosby's Diagnostic and Laboratory Test
Reference) has sold almost two million copies and has been translated into seven languages.
She began her professional career in the Army Nurse Corps, where she rose to the rank of
Captain and combined military protocol with clinical expertise, leadership, teamwork, and
Kathy received her PhD from the University of Pennsylvania in Nursing Research, where she
focused on how individuals respond to stress. She created a research instrument that is still in
use around the world today.
Following completion of her PhD, she became a full professor in the Department of Nursing at
Lycoming College and also held positions as Faculty Chairperson and Academic Dean.
As the Academic Dean, the most common description of her leadership style was that she
combined a broad knowledge base and strong management skills with excellent interpersonal
Today she continues to serve Lycoming College as Professor Emeritus, the highest rank
awarded to faculty who have advanced the college mission through meritorious teaching,
scholarship, and service. Her most prestigious awards include the Army Commendation Medal, a Faculty Award for
Teaching Excellence, and numerous accolades recognizing her articles and books.
Kathy and her husband, Tim, are the proud parents of 3 daughters. Kathy enjoys swimming,
yoga, reading, golfing, weight lifting, running, biking, and competing in sprint triathlons.
Working today as an independent author and speaker, her presentations, seminars, and retreats
help businesses and not-for-profit organizations address the challenges of leadership.
The 2nd edition of The Nurse's Etiquette Advantage: How Professional Etiquette Can Advance Your
Nursing Career, was published in 2015 and received an AJN Book of the Year Award.
- Momentum Leadership: Energizing Your Career with Purpose, Protocol & Passion -
Today's leaders are challenged to continually solve new problems. But they must also implement the creative solutions they conceive. By increasing and sustaining their leadership momentum, they can succeed at both.
Learn how to proactively:
- Broaden your knowledge base to help you recognize opportunities when they arise
- Evaluate and improve your skill sets
- Facilitate the implementation process with etiquette
- Create positive outcomes by "failing forward" to success
- Generating Momentum to Reach Personal and Professional Goals - Do you ever feel like your career is stuck in a rut? Perhaps you want something different but do not know what it is or how to get it. This engaging and inspirational session supports this challenge by generating professional momentum and maximizing leadership opportunities. Participants will learn how to position themselves today for the position they want tomorrow.
Learn how to:
- Use opportunities and positioning to re-energize your career options.
- Use etiquette as a navigational device to keep you on track by avoiding delays and blunders.
- Utilize the power of passion to create and sustain action as you target your goals.
- Reinvesting in Your Potential: A Game Plan for Life and Work - As Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "The future belongs to those who believe in their dreams." However, believing is not enough to reach our dreams and maximize our potential. We need to be proactive and take action demonstrating the importance of investing in ourselves. We need to cross the bridge from 'saying and thinking' to actually 'doing and achieving'. If you're not for yourself, who else will be? This fun, interactive, and lively program provides the tools and techniques for building a career without sacrificing the importance of a personal life.
Learn how to:
- Explain why you (not just coaches) need to have a game plan.
- Determine two ways you can facilitate reinvesting in yourself.
- Develop a life balance plan that considers your personal and professional life.
- Celebrating the Pride and Passion of Nursing - This uplifting and thought-provoking program is designed to remind nurses why they chose nursing and to inspire them to face each day with passion and purpose. It will them make proud to celebrate their contributions to the profession they entered as new graduates, the profession they are working in today, and the profession they are shaping for tomorrow's nurses.
Learn how to:
- Implement strategies to enhance pride and power.
- Promote a professional presence with patients and colleagues.
- Re-energize your passion for nursing.
- The Nurse's Etiquette Advantage: How Professional Etiquette Can Advance Your Nursing Career - While nursing education has focused on leadership, management and professional issues, etiquette has been the "missing link" for success in the workplace. This fun and entertaining session will prepare you to handle awkward and challenging situations that could diminish your confidence, tarnish your reputation and derail your career aspirations.
Learn how to:
- Appropriately use email, voice mail and cell phones for professional communications
- Avoid the key blunders which kill professional interactions before they start
- Maintain professionalism in networking and after-hours functions
- Confidently handle yourself in any dining situation
- Increase your confidence and comfort during business travel in the U.S. and abroad
- Balancing Your Life by Managing Your Time: How to Use Your Time Best...Every Moment...Every Day - Today's high achieving individuals feel increased demands on their life, both socially and professionally. They increase the risk of living an "out of balance" life, stressing their health, and making them feel overwhelmed. By being more intentional about our time, we can increase both our productivity and sense of well-being.
Learn how to:
- Plan a balanced, productive, joyful life
- Create opportunites for balance by deciding what you won't do
- Manage procrastination by building momentum
- Use "accountability colleagues" to stay on task